World's Worst Scout Vin Scully Judged Sandy Koufax for Being Too Tan

Vin Scully is emptying out every last story in his bag during his farewell season. Last night he explained why he considers himself the worst baseball scout in the entire world after his assessment of a young Sandy Koufax.

“I went down to the clubhouse. I walked in and I saw the fella who was going to try out. My first thought was ‘No chance.’ The reason I said no chance was because he had a suntan. I don’t mean the so-called ‘truck driver’s suntan,’ where only your forearms are tan because you’re wearing a uniform. No-no, he was completely tan. I thought ‘He spent all his time on the beach, not playing baseball.”

Oh yes. America’s most beloved broadcaster has a dark past as a cranky old-school scout. This must be crushing news to members of the sabremetric community who have just assumed he was always forward-thinking.

An opinion like this could get a sports pundit ostracized in 2016.

Scully said Koufax’s tryout was rather unimpressive and that he didn’t expect to see the young pitcher again.

Instead, the young lefthander overcame his sun-kissed skin to have a Hall of Fame career. At age 80, he still has a fine tan.

[MLB]



from The Big Lead http://ift.tt/29EgqZq

No comments:

Post a Comment