Ronda Rousey Says People Online Are "Mostly Evil"

Ronda Rousey has emerged from comparative hibernation since her stunning loss to Holly Holm. She’s appeared on SNL, Ellen Degeneres’s show, and the cover of the SI Swimsuit issue, and she also gave a few minutes to our USA Today cohorts at MMA Junkie at a branding event for a UFC video game. They transcribed:

“To be honest, I’ve been trying to disappear as much as possible,” Rousey said. “I don’t look at articles. I don’t look at tags. I don’t look at comments. People on the Internet are mostly evil, and I don’t want to accept any of that negativity. I just use social media to put information out there, but I really don’t use it to receive it because people are really cruel with that access.

“I don’t want to allow them that access to me anymore because they really take it for granted, and they don’t look at you like a person. You’re an event to them. I don’t want want to read people saying all the worst things they can imagine about me every single day. I just put what I have to put out there out there, and I don’t look at anything else.”

The introductory paragraph of this post would seem to contradict that Rousey has disappeared, but in comparison to how much she was out there in a media blitz before the Holm match, perhaps there’s a small element of truth.

Rousey isn’t totally wrong about the way that mainstream celebrities are treated on social media, and their mentions are a minefield. Nevertheless, her meteoric rise and sustained notoriety are also partly attributable to the up-to-the-second newsflow that social media stewards.

As is the case here, everything she says becomes a headline, real-time metrics indicate she’s a draw, her name remains in the news, and she can leverage that to sell the masses whatever she wants. Would this always have been the case after a brutal loss?

Head over to MMA Junkie to see what Rousey said about her old Myspace page, and the purposes for which she uses social media today.



from The Big Lead http://ift.tt/212XWJt

No comments:

Post a Comment